[GRASS-dev] Re: lib/image

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 04:02:52 EDT 2006

B:
> > > Definitely A.  The SGI image format isn't even widely supported by
> > > many viewers these days.  In order to check the images, I have to
> > > load them up in GiMP.
H:
> > using netpbm tools:
> >
> >  sgitopnm image.rgb | pnmtopng > image.png
G:
> Note that there's also the complementary "pnmtosgi" command, just in
> case anyone really needs to get .rgb images out of GRASS after support
> as been removed.

I don't think we need to support them anymore as long as there is a
lossless "pnm2foo" alternative.

G:
> The only time I've ever encountered .rgb images is with sample OpenGL
> programs (GLUT, redbook).

They are(were) useful on SGI systems and interact(ed) nicely with SGI
tools. Last time I went near them was to port some FORTRAN GL code
written for the SGI to OpenGL on Linux after the indigo3's CRT finally
died.. While I have used "sgitopnm", I don't expect to need "pnmtosgi"
anytime soon.

Hamish