[GRASS-dev] v.in.ascii memory errors again

Andrew Danner adanner at cs.duke.edu
Thu Jun 29 09:37:26 EDT 2006

Hamish,

 Thanks for the tips. I've used r.in.xyz a few times and it is quite an
improvement over the s.in.ascii, s.to.rast (or the grass6 equivalent)
path, but I do want to use v.in.ascii without topology support because
ultimately I want to run a modified version of v.surf.rst that I wrote
to process very large lidar point sets. On grass5 and the sites format,
I could process over 350 million points using my modified v.surf.rst and
it was a bit faster than v.surf.rst on smaller inputs around 10 million
points.  I would like to clean up my code a bit and submit it to the
GRASS project or perhaps have it as an add-on, but the new vector format
is limiting the number of points I can get into Grass6.

I followed the previous memory problems discussed by you, Helena, and
Radim, and I think this is a separate problem. I'm not sure if the
problem that freeing memory is slow applies to the tokenizer in the
first pass over the data or something in the topology building. I
thought it was the latter.

I think the recent change in G_free_tokens for LL projections is a bug,
but a bug that is fixable in a rather short period of time.  I don't
have any lat/long data to test on and I won't have much time to look
into in the next few weeks, but perhaps I can take a look at it in late
July.  The bigger problem is the 64-bit file support in the vector
library. Are the 64-bit file I/O function ftello and fseeko portable to
all the different platforms that run grass? Perhaps Glynn knows? If
there is any point in the code that writes file offsets to disk, we
would need to be careful about compatibility issues there. I don't know
this section of the code very well, so I'm reluctant to make any
changes, before getting some advice.

-Andy