[GRASS-dev] change permissions for mapsets

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 30 11:16:59 EDT 2006

Otto Dassau wrote:

> I have a question about g.access.
>
> When I try to change permissions for mapset PERMANENT, it does not work:
> -> access to PERMANENT must be open, nothing changed
>
> when I try to change permissions for another mapset test, it works:
> -> Everyone now has access to mapset test
>
> Does this mean, that I cannot use mapset PERMANENT together with other users?
> Or how can I resolve/change this?

A few notes:

1. You cannot select a mapset as the current mapset (where any new
maps will be created) unless you own the mapset directory; having
write permission isn't sufficient.

2. To change the permissions for a mapset, you have to own the mapset
directory.

3. No-one should ever have the PERMANENT mapset as their current
mapset. GRASS doesn't actually enforce this, although it probably
should.