[GRASS5] [bug #2937] (grass) v.in.ogr, GUI, fails at building areas due to 'too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)'

Maciek Sieczka via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Fri Mar 3 06:06:55 EST 2006

Hi!

I've just had this "too many nested evaluations" error with v.extract. It hang
my v.extract GUI window for good, I couldn't even scroll it or select text
from it. After I forced it to close it printed to the terminal the following
stuff:

---

bgerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
    Error in bgerror: can't invoke "grab" command:  application has been destroyed
bgerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
    Error in bgerror: can't invoke "tk" command:  application has been
destroyedbgerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
    Error in bgerror: can't invoke "tk" command:  application has been
destroyedbgerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
    Error in bgerror: can't invoke "tk" command:  application has been
destroyedbgerror failed to handle background error.

---

... and so on for hundreds of lines ...

Using Grass 6.1 cvs 2006-02-20 built from source, Ubuntu Breezy. Only TCL/TK
8.3 used at build time and at run time, no 8.4 at all (so my theory of the
"too many nested evaluations" bug being connected with only 8.4 seems wrong;
though it still seems to me that when I'm now using 8.3/Ubuntu(Debian) it pops
up much less frequently than when I was using 8.4/Mandriva, whatever the
reason is).

The CLI equivalent and output of the command that made v.extract GUI fail with
such a hasty abandon is:

---

v.extract input=rogow_parcels_05_water_addcat_bnd_ln_poly_addcat
output=rogow_parcels_05_water_addcat_bnd_ln_poly_addcat_diss
type=point,line,boundary,centroid,area,face layer=1 new=-1 -d -t
Building topology ...
Registering lines:
55 primitives registered
Building areas:

0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids:

Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   48
Number of primitives:   55
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   55
Number of boundaries:   0
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0
Removing duplicate centroids ...Building topology ...
Registering lines:
55 primitives registered
Building areas:

0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands:
Attaching centroids:

Topology was built.
Number of nodes     :   48
Number of primitives:   55
Number of points    :   0
Number of lines     :   55
Number of boundaries:   0
Number of centroids :   0
Number of areas     :   0
Number of isles     :   0

---

The funniest part is I cannot reproduce the error at will. But sometimes when
I keep on trying over & over again I get the following (in the terminal):

too many nested evaluations (infinite loop?)
    (procedure "GlobalVar::exists" line 1)
    invoked from within
"GlobalVar::exists $_widget($path,var)"
    (procedure "ProgressBar::_modify" line 4)
    invoked from within
"ProgressBar::_modify .progress"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval ProgressBar::$cmd .progress $args"
    (procedure ".progress" line 1)
    invoked from within
"$opt($dlg,progress) _modify"
    (procedure "progress" line 7)
    invoked from within
"progress $dlg $val"
    invoked from within
"if [eof $fh] {
                close $fh
        } else {
                set str [gets $fh]
                append str "\n"
                if { [fblocked $fh] } { set str [read $fh] }
                while {[set idx [string f..."
    (procedure "prnout" line 5)
    invoked from within
"prnout 1 file6"

---

There has never been any comments from Grass devs regarding this issue. And it
seem quite a common bug (browse grass5 and grasslist archives, also see:
https://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3117). Any ideas how to fix so the
current Grass gui could be operational?

Maciek