[GRASS5] Projection: Unit conversion

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Mon Mar 6 15:31:38 EST 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 00:40:11 +0530
"Sajith VK" <sajithvk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>  Sorry for a silly question..
>
> I have some data in a Long-Lat location. The unit for the coordinate
> is degree, minute, senconds. How can I convert it into "meters"?
>
> I have seen PROJ_UNITS file in the permenant mapsets. But dont
> know how to manipulat it.

Sajith

First of all I don't think you should post such basic questions to
grass devel list. You might get better support at grass users list:
http://grass.itc.it/community/support.php#int_list

Secondly, this is not really a Grass relevant question. Yet ;) (in this
form at least).

Roghly put: the conversion between different cordinate systems is
usually called "reprojection". You would need to dig a bit of theory
first, then see how it is done in PROJ.4, on which Grass depends for
handling projections (especially it's cs2cs command), then finally
learn how Grass does it: g.proj, g.setproj, v.proj, r.proj. It's all
there in manuals and on the net.

I'm forwarding this message to grass users list. Please continue it
there.

Maciek