[GRASS5] Layers Clarification

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Wed Mar 8 10:29:25 EST 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:50:28 +0100
"Radim Blazek" <radim.blazek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. One geometry object can be linked to more rows in attribute table.
> In that case the geometry object has more categories (the same layer)
> each pointing to one row in the attribute table. One category can only
> link to one row, no more.  The relation geometry-table can be
> one-to-many. The relation category-table can only be
> on-to-one or many-to-one.
>
> It is probably much easier  get idea from a picture:
>    http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g51/bridge.png
> It covers all possible cases I think.

Radim and others,

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. Is it possible to
manually add more than one category to a geometry object or is this
only done through automated means such as v.clean?

Thanks. Once I get this all straight in my head I will assemble this
into a single document. Do you think my idea of having a statement on
the vector module index page with a link to a more detailed explanation
is a good idea or would somewhere else be more appropriate?

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)