[GRASSLIST:10801] Re: [GRASS5] FWD: [OSGeo-Discuss] Incubation Committee / Contributor Agreements]

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 01:25:54 EST 2006

> According to the first draft of GPLv3, it seem that gplv3 software
> will be more "compatible" with other free software.

Thanks for bring this up Laurent,

As far as realistic licenseing decisions that OSGeo might effect as
caretakers of the GRASS copyright, I think this is the only plausable
change that can happen and the one we should use as the example to
focus the current debate around. I don't think a GPL->BSD relicense of
GRASS 6 is a real enough possibility to spend much time talking about.

As far as other licenses go, if Radim wants the vector lib to be LGPL,
or for that matter if the author of any new lib that interfaces with
GRASS wants to make their entire library LGPL, I don't have any problem
with that. If it were even possible to contact all copyright holders of
GRASS 5&6 code, I would vote against libgis or the modules changing from
GPL version 2. I can't say a thing about GPLv3 until it shows up.

For curiosity, my preference:
Standalone libs that do "one thing brilliantly", BSD/MIT.
Infrastructure libs that do "one thing well", LGPL.
Engines, client modules, and entangled libs, GPL.

Hamish