[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:3] Re: New GIS Manager adds transparency to layers

benducke at compuserve.de benducke at compuserve.de
Sat Mar 11 13:57:25 EST 2006

I taught an ArcGIS class last semester and my
impressions are very similar.
ArcGIS looks sleak on the surface, but it is
incredibly sluggish, unstable and missing a
lot of basic functionality.
Since version 8.0, ESRI has added all sorts
of toys (ArcGlobe, ArcScene, ...), but
the really important stuff, such as the
Spatial Analyst has not seen a major update
since ArcView 3.x.
During my classes, 2-3 machines were regulary
unavailable, because ArcGIS kept crashing or
just wouldn't do what it was told to.
Did you know that the 3D "Analyst" is pretty
useless if you are working in custom projection?
Nice, isn't it.
Over and over again, we ran into unexpected
problems and well-hidden functionality.
Have you ever tried to get excavation data in
a simple X-Y system into ArcGIS? It's a nightmare.

GRASS has a much cleaner interface, is more reliable
and manages more data with less resources.

And on top of that: my students told me after a
small introduction to GRASS GIS that they
thought it was a really "cool" and professional
system.

What can I say?