[GRASS5] Layers in the GUI

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Tue Mar 14 11:09:53 EST 2006

Michael,

I was looking a d.m and the new gui.m and I wonder if the way in which
layers are presented to users in the TCL gui could use some refinement.
Right now the thematic vector layer option has a default option of
selecting based on layer, but the regular vector option has more
options which really make it more practical for editing or checking
purposes instead of display. I'm not sure what would be an ideal
option, but I'm thinking that if we want to encourage use of layers
then to the naive user, the options in the regular vector option might
be confusing. I don't want to dumb things down but I'm wondering if we
might want to put the thematic layer first in the list to encourage its
use and/or provide different naming for the d.vect gui interface.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)