[GRASS5] creating layers

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Wed Mar 15 11:56:26 EST 2006

I am trying to add layers to a vector map with attributes managed
with postgresql. My first attempt with v.db.addtable, created the
correct tables in postgres. They appear to be attached to the vector map

GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ > v.info -c t61nr9w_tvol layer=1
Displaying column types/names for database connection of layer 1:
INTEGER|cat
INTEGER|a_cat
DOUBLE PRECISION|a_area
DOUBLE PRECISION|a_perimeter
DOUBLE PRECISION|a_pls_fort_
DOUBLE PRECISION|a_pls_fort_i
INTEGER|a_coun
INTEGER|a_town
INTEGER|a_rdir
INTEGER|a_rang
INTEGER|a_sect
INTEGER|a_fort
INTEGER|a_glot
INTEGER|a_parc
CHARACTER|a_fort_desc
DOUBLE PRECISION|a_glotmatch
INTEGER|b_cat

GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ > v.info -c t61nr9w_tvol layer=2
Displaying column types/names for database connection of layer 2:
INTEGER|cat
INTEGER|cords
INTEGER|mbm
INTEGER|poles
INTEGER|posts

This looks correct to me. However, v.category on both layers shows
that when layer 2 is specified, v.category reports layer 1:

GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ > v.category input=t61nr9w_tvol
option=report layer=1
LAYER/TABLE 1/t61nr9w_tvol:
type       count        min        max
point          0          0          0
line           0          0          0
boundary       0          0          0
centroid     686          1        686
area           0          0          0
all          686          1        686
GRASS 6.1.cvs (minnesota_utm):~ > v.category input=t61nr9w_tvol
option=report layer=2
LAYER/TABLE 1/t61nr9w_tvol:
type       count        min        max
point          0          0          0
line           0          0          0
boundary       0          0          0
centroid     686          1        686
area           0          0          0
all          686          1        686

Also, when I try and view or edit the new layers with d.what.vect.
There are no "tabs" showing all the layers. Did I miss a step when
creating the layers?

Thanks,

Kirk