[GRASS5] too many open raster files

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 18:02:38 EST 2006

> I need to process about 500 maps at a time with r.series. I found in
> the ML,  that the defined MAXFILES variable in /lib/gis/G.h can be
> changed.
>
> http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/1996-December/002287.html
>
> For me it is working fine with MAXFILES 500, but are there any other
> problems, that might occur?

raster/r.patch/nfiles.h says:
/* The number of cell files that can be patched together.
 *
 * All cell files will be opened at one time, so this number can not
 * be arbitrarily large.
 *
 * Must be smaller than MAXFILES as defined in lib/gis/G.h which
 * in turn must be smaller than the operating system's limit.
 *  (Given by `cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max` in Linux 2.4)
 */

I've worked with r.series with MAXFILES set to 400 (covering 365 days +
overhead) without any problem.

Search the mailing list for posts by Glynn containing "MAXFILES" for a
comprehensive answer. I'm sure he's explained this in the past.

Hamish