[GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Mar 19 01:28:57 EST 2006

> From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:13:19 +1200
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface
>
>> I'd add the integration of NVIZ and 2D displays as another important
>> goal for the raster side.
>

> I'm still not convinced that this should be attempted.
> OpenGL canvasses aside, conceptually NVIZ is its own program.
>

> Hamish

But why does it need to be? Currently, when you click the NVIZ button in the
gism2 map display, it opens an NVIZ display and displays the same set of
maps that you can see in the 'flat' display. That is, it shows one or more
sets of composited map layers, including one or more rasters that serve as a
base 'elavation' map, optionally one or more raster color drapes, and
optionally multiple vector layers. This is conceptually identical to the
'normal flat' display.

Technical difficulties aside for the moment, why do we have to open a
separate display to do this? Why not simply pop up an NVIZ control panel and
display the same set of maps in rendered 2.5D or 3D (for volumes) in the
same display window? Then the map display could go from an orthographic view
to a rendered 2.5/3D view and back, depending on the users display needs.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402

phone: 480-965-6213