[GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Mar 19 01:36:58 EST 2006

> From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 18:02:21 +1200
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface
>
>> 1) using r.profile and TclTk charts to create a new terrain profile
>> utility that would replace d.profile, produce postscript text and
>> graphics, and not need x11.
>
> most welcome. as a first step you could use d.graph, the input to that
> is easily adapted to something else.

D.graph won't work because it only draws to an xdisplay.

But Tcl has a histogram command in the math and statistics library that will
accept output from a command like r.profile and create a nice line
graph/profile. This could also be done (with some additional effort) with
even more basic TclTk canvas draw commands.

>> 2) creating a text layer that could read label files created by
>> v.label. This way, we could have high quality, postscript vector
>> labeling.
>
> crib from ps.map's existing label code

Again, TclTk commands can simply read through a label file (it's ascii) and
parse the label parameters into canvas text objects. There is pretty much a
1:1 relationship between text object parameters and label parameters.

>> 3) rewriting the GRASS startup GUI.
>
> esp. the create-new-location text screens.

YES!

> Hamish

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402