[GRASS5] New GRASS addons CVS repository?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Mar 20 08:14:45 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 02:07:02PM +0100, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 09:33, Radim Blazek wrote:
> > On 3/19/06, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Martin Wegmann and me would like to suggest to
> > > open a new "addons" CVS repository in parallel
> > > to grass6/.
> > > We are receiving more frequently now new code
> > > submissions which may need to be worked on.
> > > An example is r.li where other parties want to
> > > add more fragmentation indices etc. Since r.li
> > > with a single index isn't ready for the main
> > > CVS in my opinion, we should help people to
> > > use the CVS capabilities for distributed
> > > development. However, we should also seek to
> > > accumulate good stuff in a single place rather
> > > than having pieces scattered over the internet.
> > >
> > > Suggestions:
> > > - add new GRASS Extensions Manager (GEM) to main CVS
> > >   when available and functional
> >
> > Yes GEM should be added to CVS.
> >
> > > - create new "addons" (or however named) repo to
> > >   CVS
> >
> > I think that CVS is too rigid for this purpose. I think that to add
> > a new or modified new module to the repository should be
> > as easy as possible, something like Wiki where everybody
> > can register and add a module.
> > We cannot give CVS account to everybody who wrote a simple
> > script but we want to make the script available for everybody.
>
> I think first it has to be discussed if /addons should be just a place to
> store scripts or rather to store whole modules for one task (e.g. landscape
> analysis, hydrology etc.) which can be loaded afterwards via GEM if needed.
> For scripts an /addons repository would be too much but for GRASS function
> bundles it is appropriate.
> This would make the main GRASS more slim and each additional function has to
> be loaded like in R.
>
> I think these GRASS function bundles need to have a central place where they
> can be developed like in cvs or svn and not lost over time. However your
> point that everybody can not granted cvs access is understandable - either

Of course CVS write access to the main repository will be handled
rather restrictive.
But suggestion below:

> there does an alternative exist (separate cvs system for add-ons) or a
> totally different system to manage these files (e.g. wiki or webcollab
> http://webcollab.sourceforge.net/index.html but this is rather for single
> file development). But the latter option would not allow a "real continuous"
> development like cvs/svn.
> The complexity of cvs (installation/usage) has to be kept in mind as well, but
> I am not aware of any easy alternative where somebody can develop code like
> in cvs.

Jan Wagner suggested offlist to me to think about SVN migration.
This will offer the possibility to grant write access on a
per-directory base.

In any case an extention manager PERSON is needed. Already today.

> Does anybody know how R is managing its /contrib repositories? Does a person
> exist who add new modules to cvs which he receives from contributing users?
> Or does every person has access to the repository?

Maybe Roger has some insights.

Markus