startup GUI - was Re: [GRASS5] New gui.tcl generic user interface

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Mar 21 10:01:37 EST 2006

One issue that needs to be addressed are the tools to create a location.

G.setproj (the module that people see when they want to create a new
location) only works in interactive xterminal mode.

G.proj will create a new location with new projection parameters, but only
if compiled with OGR. Is OGR required for ALL GRASS compilation? If so, we
could work with g.proj. If OGR is not a basic GRASS requirement, then this
would be problematic.

I'd love to see any work to date for updating the GRASS startup. I've made 2
starts recently. The first was an attempt to simply update the existing
startup to current TclTk tools, with the idea that we could move on from
there. This got  to be such a pain, that I decided to scrap that and start
from scratch. I had it partly functioning, but apparently lost the code when
my laptop went in for repairs. Once, I finish with debugging gism2--close I
hope--I'll make this a top priority.

Maybe Cedric and I could collaborate as his knowledge of TclTk seems quite a
bit more sophisticated than mine. If I go with g.proj, I might need some
help in appropriately creating either a wkt or proj statement.

More importantly, WHICH of the many files of projection/datum parameters get
used in setting up a location? There are all kinds of project/datum related
files in $GISBASE/etc. Probably this has been brought up before, but they
should all be put into a $GISBASE/projection directory and organized in some
coherent way. If we no longer use some of them, they should probably be
removed.

Cheers
Michael
Arizona State University