[GRASS5] [bug #4164] (grass) v.clean: uses 1GB RAM, 1 GB swap for a vector with only 628 boundaries

Maciek Sieczka via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Tue Mar 21 15:03:00 EST 2006

Radim wrote:

> It seems to be strange. Did you get correct result from v.buffer???!!!
> It maybe that I just introduced another bug.

Radim,

Sorry for late reply. I've been away for some time.

Regarding the issue: indeed, v.buffer's output is not a clean buffer. I
reproduced my orignal v.buffer command:

v.buffer input=x_extr output=x_extr_buff100 type=boundary layer=1 buffer=100
scale=1.0 tolerance=0.01 debug=clean

and in spite specifying debug=clean the output is full of tiny polygons made
of crossing circles and arcs. What's good, their topology looks allright after
inspection in Qgis Grass digit. Even better, that v.buffer used very little
memory - several times less than before; which is great! It didn't even touch
swap!

Summarising: the memory consumption is sane now, yippie!, but buffer is not
created.

Do you need my dataset for your work on this?

Maciek