[GRASS5] features needed for 6.2

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Mar 28 18:55:00 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> There has been discussion periodically about changing how raster files are
> stored within mapsets. What I understood (perhaps incorrectly I suppose) was
> that the idea was to store each map in a separate folder, like vectors,
> rather than combine all raster cat files in one folder, header files in
> another folder, and so on. This would make GRASS raster files much more
> portable and easier to manipulate. However, there would need to be some way
> to convert formats as between old and new vector formats.

OK, that makes sense.

It's also completely orthogonal to any changes which I was considering
regarding the actual raster format.

But, I think that it's the kind of thing which needs to be done at the
start of a revision cycle, i.e. not in 6.2.0 but at the beginning of
6.3cvs. If you try to do it for 6.2.0, it's going to either push 6.2.0
back to next year or make 6.2.0 too buggy for actual use.