[GRASS5] LRS

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 07:15:52 EST 2006

On 3/31/06, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> Radim,
> (cc strk)
>
> this is great news! Maybe the wording could be synchronized
> with that of PostGIS?
>  http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch06.html#id2793484
>
> I think that Christoph Spoerri and strk are working on it:
>  http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2005-April/001338.html
>  http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2005-November/001652.html
>
> Since both GRASS-LRS and PostGIS-LRS are in development,
> it will hopefully be possible to synchronize the terminology.

The functions in PostGIS do not correspond exactly to v.lrs.* which
can better support real world data. The equivalent for line_interpolate_point()
and line_substring() in GRASS would be v.segment or Vect_line_segment()

v.lrs.* does more, it can generate LRS from layer of lines and points
eg roads and milestones.

I am using the mentioned PostGIS functions for example  in WebGIS application
(PHP/PostGIS/AJAX) which is using the data (linear layer + lrs table)
generated by v.lrs.create. The lrs table is mapping real world to GIS.
The mapping is necessary because lines in GIS do not exacly correspond
to physical objects.

The LRS in GRASS is on higher application level then the functions in PostGIS.
Note that I dont say it is superior, it just do something else - more.
That is the reason we cannot probably find equivalents in terminology.

Radim