[GRASS5] Proposal: RFC 1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Paulick Consult stefan.paulick at urbeli.com
Wed May 3 08:56:18 EDT 2006

So far I understood,

1) it is not possible/usable to set up planning papers due to the complexity
of the topics

2) a voting system will control the use of code and should reflect the
amount of contribution to the system

3) the committe should cover legal issues without/(with a minimum) of
organisation and money on a volunteer base

4) the licence policy will be handled by the committee

Each topic has his own charm and motivation, but combining them to a formal
commission will lead to noting really useful:

 -> without strategic/tactical/operational plans, there is almost nothing to
vote on

 -> without a non-profit organisation, there is no way to cover legal issues,
including the handling fo licence question. And: wearing the hat means
taking the risks.

 -> voting on code/quality of code is/may be very discouraging when the code
is provided by volunteers.

While "growing wild" over decades, I would say a control committee will not
do any good to grass on the long term. I'm not at all in doubt that it will
work fine today with today's people - but the chance to control may bring
new people into the game, following entire different incentives.

So is there really a need to implement some "exclusive control club"? Never
change a running system - and grass development seems to be running quite
well.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kindest regards

Stefan Paulick

http://www.urbeli.com
mailto://stefan.paulick@urbeli.com