[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS5] GEM in CVS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 08:35:49 EDT 2006

> I think that there are good examples of free software using
> repositories of add-on packages very effectively. For example, R (the
> statistics package) comes with basic functionality out of the box, but
> there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of cool add-on packages that can be
> downloaded and installed with a click of the mouse.

Sure, I've used it.

> Being included in the GRASS-sanctioned package manager would be pretty
> good motivation to make your code free.

Your code doesn't have to be Free to use the GEM. One of the strongest
points GEM brings to GRASS is easy integration of in-house (proprietary)
code into the main GRASS system. Customization and flexibility are
great. However, this can be used as an easy end-run around the GPL - you
are prohibited from distributing Free and non-Free binaries together.
AFAIU, the GEM will let you distribute non-Free source with GRASS
legally, and then automatically compile once at the user end.

This will help some folks out who would otherwise be stuck in a legal
bind, I'm not against helping them. I don't want us to make it too easy
for people, so they won't bother to put up a fight with their boss to
get some code released as GPL.

I hope that makes my point more clear, I am not at all anti-GEM, just
wondering how we would handle possible GPL-abuse and dilution of effort.

Hamish