[GRASS-dev] computational geometry in C++ library

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Sat May 6 05:14:53 EDT 2006

> GRASS code should avoid using C++ where possible, but we already
> depend upon some libraries which are written in C++, most notably
> GDAL, which is a mandatory dependency in 6.x.

Does this mean, the next release of GRASS is intended to ship with a
version of GDAL included?
This would be a blessing for people tired of the circular GRASS and
GDAL recompile game.

> If there's a particularly useful third-party library, we shouldn't
> ignore it just because it is written in C++. However, anything which
> uses it should first create a set of C wrappers (if the the library
> doesn't already provide them) and use those, rather than using the C++
> interface directly. If more than one module uses the library, the C
> interface should either be made into a library or, where possible,
> contributed back for inclusion into the original library.

I searched the web quickly and there does not seem to be any C wrappers
for CGAL yet. It's a fairly complex library, but maybe the most
important bits wouldn't be so hard to wrap ...

--
Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik

Tel.: ++49 (0)431 880-3378 / -3379