[GRASS-dev] v.digit: Qt or wxWidgets

John Gillette JGillette at rfmd.com
Fri May 19 12:03:15 EDT 2006

[snip]

> AFAICT, the main obstacles are v.digit and NVIZ. v.digit
> needs a decision on a suitable toolkit (probably either Qt or
> wxWidgets) and a volunteer. NVIZ requires someone to update
> Togl to 1.7 and to conditionalise the GLX-specific code in do_zoom.c.

Glynn:
(1) I'd like to see the code written in C, as opposed to C++.
    I think more developers and users are going to know C. This
    lets users be able to trouble shoot and find bugs.
    [full disclosure: I only know C.]

(2) I looked at wxWidgets after the last time you mentioned it.
    I assume you can use it with C?

(3) I didn't understand the relationship between wxWidgets and GTK.
    Can you explain some of this?

(4) GTK is not on your list. Can you explain your thinking about
    which you prefer or which kit you would use?

Perhaps by virtue of asking these questions it means I am not
qualified to work on v.digit but I get excited (and frustrated)
about the possibility of having a window based v.digit program.

If we could discuss it a little and then have Glynn just make a
decision [1], I would run off and start learning that toolkit. I
already learned some GTK.

Respectfully,
John

[1] technical lead/mentor type relationship. So that Glynn wouldn't
 do the work but so we would head off in the right direction. I
 see Glynn as informally doing something like that now. Just my
opinion, of course.