[GRASS-dev] v.digit: Qt or wxWidgets

John Gillette JGillette at rfmd.com
Fri May 19 19:17:52 EDT 2006

> From: Michael Barton
>
> I can offer a couple of answers, though Glynn and others can
> fill in richer details.
>
> (2) wxWidgets is an interface building platform, like TclTk,
> QT, and GTK. It can be used with C.
>
> (3) I think that this is answered in (2)
>
> (4) wxWidgets, like QT and TclTk has versions that run
> natively across platforms--inlcuding most *nix flavors, Mac
> OS X, and Windows. GTK runs primarily in X11 (though there
> are experimental versions under development for other
> platforms I understand).
>
> Michael

This probably answers most of my questions.  Obviously wxWidgets
is a C++ program which would call the C grass libraries.  I was
confused by the relationship of GTK+ and wxWidgets on Linux.
wxWidgets "sits on top of GTK+" to use GTK+ as the native GUI
on Linux (only).  So based on Michael's answer above, wxWidgets
would make it easier to port GUI programs to other systems while
doing away with the X11 requirement. This also avoids licensing
issues with Qt.

So ...  wxWidgets?

John