[GRASS-dev] new profiling tool and other gis.m updates

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sat May 20 11:42:40 EDT 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006 13:10:57 +0200
Maciek Sieczka <werchowyna at epf.pl> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 May 2006 13:23:06 -0700
> Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Trevor Wiens created bindings to allow rapid tool switching using
> > Œhot-keys. When using an interactive display tool you can now use a
> > hot key to switch from one tool to another without using the mouse to
> > select the tool. There are keys for each side (L&R) of the keyboard.
> > They are very handy if you need to quickly switch from one function
> > to another.
> >
> >     Zoom-in:    i or z
> >     Zoom-out:   o or t
> >     Pan:    p or a
> >     Query: ? or q
> >     Measure: m or d
>
> Nice, but why not something easy to handle with one hand? Current key
> set isn't good for right handed nor for left handed. Maybe:
>
>      Zoom-in:	s or k
>      Zoom-out:	x or m
>      Pan:	a or l
>      Query:	c or n
>      Measure:	q or o

Ideally I would like to have them user configurable, but

the left hand is
I for zoom In
T for zoom ouT
A for pAn
Q for Query
D for Distance (Measure)
X for pointer

That is in my opinion a perfectly functional one hand configuration
unless you use a non Qwerty keyboard.

For the right it is less functional because of ? for Query, but rather
obvious. Possibly U would work better or allow ? or U to work.

Personally, I would prefer to integrate zoom and pan into a single tool
and pointer and query together too, but for new users, this kind of
functionality is often missed. Thus the conflict; we want our own GUI
(rather and QGIS) in part because GRASS is not for GIS newbies, but at
the same time we want to keep the learning curve as gentle as possible.

Perhaps multi-functionality could be built into the zoom in and pointer
tools (using Ctrl and Shift) and reduce the keystrokes to switching
between zoom and pointer only.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)