[GRASS-dev] new profiling tool and other gis.m updates

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat May 20 16:27:50 EDT 2006

The hot-keys can be pretty much anything. For me at least, i,o,p,m,q/? are
easy to remember for in, out, pan, measure, and query.

These are not all physically adjacent to be used like arrow keys or typing
words, of course.

I still am unable to imagine a GIS application in which someone needs to
switch in fast succession between zooming, panning, measuring, querying, and
back. I can imagine needing to zoom in and out, and maybe to pan...but the
rest? Nevertheless, whichever hot-keys make most sense to people can be
implemented.

I'm trying to make the zoom tools switch function when you hold down the
shift key (in to out and out to in). I don't find needing to use 2 hands to
zoom necessarily convenient. Still, this seems helpful to people at some
time, and adds flexibility to display management tools. It would be nice if
we could get cursors that change appearance to indicate such switching
functions. Trevor is working on this.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University