[GRASS-dev] v.digit: Qt or wxWidgets

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 22 04:47:45 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:

> > I'm more concerned about the Mac. In particular, the fact that you can
> > use the Unix/X11 version of GTK with an X server allows developers to
> > "cop out" and risks reducing the motivation to develop the native
> > version.
>
> Are you saying it's a "cop out" for us or for the MacGTK porters?

Well, both.

We could choose any Unix/X11 toolkit and sidestep portability issues
with "the Mac has X11, and Windows has Cygwin and Cygwin's X server".

So far as "native" Windows/Mac versions are concerned, I consider
"native" to mean "doesn't require an X server, Cygwin etc", so
Windows/Mac versions of GTK or Qt are acceptable. As opposed to "must
use the OS' native widgets", which would limit us to wxWidgets.