[GRASS-dev] v.digit: Qt or wxWidgets

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 22 11:20:31 EDT 2006

Radim Blazek wrote:

> What do you mean exactly. It is GPL on all platforms.
>
> > There are
> > subtle but maybe relevant differences in the licensing scheme and it
> > seems that there is always a difference between the open source and the
> > commercial versions. But I think Radim is more qualified to judge this.
>
> I cannot say if there are differences, but I don't believe.
> We are using GPL version on all platforms.
> There are some additional packages (QSA, Qt Solutions, Teambuilder)
> which are not available under GPL on all platforms but the Qt, Qtopia
> and Qtopia SDK will be most probably the same on all platforms
> and under all licenses.
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing/matrix
>
> I don't care which toolkit you choose. I just don't like to see
> that some people for some strange reasons repeat to say that
> Qt is not free, which is not true.

The licensing information on the TrollTech site suggests that the
licence for the Open Source edition isn't actually the GPL, but a
requirement that you publish your code under the terms of the GPL.

The GPL itself does not require that you publish your code at all. You
are free to create derivative works and not publish them at all. /If/
you publish them, you must do so under the terms of the GPL.

TrollTech's site suggests that you cannot develop "in-house"
applications using the Qt Open Source edition (and you can't obtain a
commercial licence for software which was originally developed using
the Open Source edition). In which case, the licence isn't even
GPL-compatible.