[GRASS-dev] GUI platforms

Stefan Paulick stefan.paulick at urbeli.com
Tue May 23 14:41:06 EDT 2006

Am Dienstag, den 23.05.2006, 13:51 -0400 schrieb Thomas Adams:
> This is not to say
> that GUI improvements such as those we have seen with gism are not
> needed and welcomed (they certainly are), but the ties to UNIX and its
> scriptability are a huge plus. To abandon this would, indeed, be
> "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

I did not get the point regarding scriptability. Does a switch from
tlc/tk to python denote that scriptability? As far as I know, it is used
in OpenOffice, Blender and Gimp as script language.

As far as I understand, python is high-level language with close roots
to "c" with a very wide base of (young) developers. It would be helpful
for the discussion to find out, if there is a future for the GUI/toolkit
language on the long term (5-8 years). As far as I can see, there is a
new generation of programmers growing up today with python; but only a
few with tcl/tk. But I have no figures to prove that statement. Q: has
anyone reliable statistics to look over that point?

The thrown-baby-saying stimulates emotions, so it is not really a
helpful argument. --> I grew up a millenium ago with PASCAL - which is
dead as a dodo these days - I still want i back *tears* AND I found out
that switching to other programming languages made things much easier
than they were in "the good old days".

/Stefan