[GRASS-dev] GUI platforms

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue May 23 15:09:45 EDT 2006

First, I am not trying to be combative at all. I wish we could sit
down at a coffee shop and discuss over a latte...

I agree that the current incarnation of GRASS and probably for the
near future there will be no major changes to GRASS. What I am
thinking about is GRASS 7 (or maybe GRASS 8).

The problem is not the particular shell used (though there are
advantages to establishing a standard), it is the missing toolbox on
Windows. Windows out-of-the-box doesn't provide the tools to do
anything useful. Everything needs to be provided. There are several

1. You can supply a Unix emulation layer and bash as Cygwin does
(there are others) and all scripts run cross-platform across the three
architectures. This is what is being done today.

2. You supply a tool set and allow Windows to use a native shell (cmd
or whatever). I think in this case the obvious easy path is to supply
the tools already available on Unix systems, but recreating a new tool
set isn't inconceivable. Care needs to be taken to make this all work
cross-platform without crippling one system or the other. I can't
imagine that true cross-platform scripting can be achieved this way
without essentially duplicating what Cygwin already provides.

3. You code to the lowest common denominator making no assumptions
about a Unix toolbox or a scripting environment. Here is where you
will probably need to supply grass with its own "shell". Maybe a
Python interpreter with an object model for communication with GRASS
(like ArcGIS has done).

IMHO, option 3 ends GRASS as a real Unix program.

Part of the issue is that 99% of tools designed for native use on
Windows (and GUI Mac) are not programmed to use text streams. The only
way to communicate with them is through remote procedure calls. That
is why Windows provides the Windows Scripting Host (WSH). Python and
Perl use COM, etc. GRASS's shell will need to support this world view.

If you've done much scripting in Windows using native tools, you'll
find it is a very different monster than on Unix. Your code becomes
boiler plate procedure calls to the scripting host and you work with
the back-end API of things like MS Office applications. One line of
bash with a few pipes turns into dozens of lines of object-oriented
goop, even in Python.

Certainly, if we are going down that route I would rather see it in
Python than almost any other scripting language. But I think this
approach has long-term implications for the GRASS architecture that go
well beyond the GUI issues we are dealing with today.

It's something to think about.

--
David Finlayson