[GRASS-dev] d.* commands

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Tue May 23 17:32:02 EDT 2006

I think there are around 56 d.* commands for interacting with the X11
terminals. What needs to be done to these modules so that they can
communicate with the new Tk display canvas?

Has anyone thought about the best way to integrate d.* commands from
the terminal and GIS manager?

I guess I envision that they need to create a layer in the png driver
and add it to the stack used by g.pngcomp and then cause a refresh of
the screen. I figure they should get the new transparency options as
well a hard or soft screen redraw option.

A few questions:

Is the drawing stack accessible from outside of GIS Manager so that
g.pngcomp can be called with the existing screen elements intact?

Is there a good way to let GIS manager know that the screen has a new
drawing element

Maybe command line draws should not be persistent in the GUI at all?

If this is something that I can do, I would like to try and get a few
of the more important ones updated before the feature freeze. I am not
a great C coder, however, so this could get ugly.

--
David Finlayson