[GRASS-dev] Re: gis.m: how to create high-resolution graphics file ?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 01:18:49 EDT 2006

> > Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the function of the res
> > parameter? I think res=4 outputs a png at 4 times the current
> > display size.

also d.out.file or just the PNG driver with GRASS_WIDTH and GRASS_HEIGHT
set to the desired size.

> With res= >1 though, the rescaling of the map decorations and text is
> strange.

Grid lines, etc, will still only be drawn 1 pixel wide, so on resize
they tend to disappear.

If you want good looking poster size graphics [with decorations] you
need to use ps.map. It's a little to learn but it can make Very nice
results.

FWIW, for work I do a lot of map output and use d.* for presentaion &
web graphics, and ps.map for printed reports and journal figures. GMT
might be better for journal figures but I haven't spent the time on
getting good with it.

Hamish