[GRASS-dev] [bug #4493] (grass) gis.m fails to start GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 25 05:33:41 EDT 2006

Cedric Shock wrote:

> We don't have an "official" tcl/tk compatibility requirement. However I put in
> SUBMITTING_TCLTK that programs should work with both 8.3 and 8.4, which I
> believe are both an absolute must. Due to the core nature of gui.tcl, I've
> been testing my changes to gui.tcl against 8.0, 8.3, and 8.4, even though 8.0
> compatibility results in slightly less readable code (no end- index
> notation).

I don't think that we need to support anything before 8.3.

8.4 was a substantial revision (which should arguably have been called
9.0) and was released quite some time after 8.3. If we support 8.3 and
8.4, that's really the last two major revisions. Everyone should be
able to use at least one of those, although not everyone can use 8.4.