[GRASS-dev] [bug #4493] (grass) gis.m fails to start GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 25 05:38:52 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> But this works fine in 8.4 in both x11 and Mac OSX versions on my Mac and
> for FC4. Is 8.4 for Debian so different?

It appears that threading is an optional feature in 8.4.

The Gentoo ebuild for Tcl has a "threads" option, corresponding to the
--enable-threads configure switch. However, it also has this:

pkg_setup() {
	if use threads ; then
		ewarn ""
		ewarn "PLEASE NOTE: You are compiling ${P} with"
		ewarn "threading enabled."
		ewarn "Threading is not supported by all applications"
		ewarn "that compile against tcl. You use threading at"
		ewarn "your own discretion."
		ewarn ""
		epause 5
	fi
}

My guess is that the Debian package uses threads while the FC4 version
doesn't. FWIW, my version was built without thread support.