[GRASS-dev] Raster format and dual function module

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 25 09:32:08 EDT 2006

Hamish wrote:

> > For the time being, it would be better to see if we can improve the
> > situation with some minor changes to a few key areas. It would help if
> > someone has the time to build GRASS with profiling support and
> > actually profile some common usage patterns.
>
> You don't need to build with any special profiling support to try, (!)
>
> Run from valgrind, save interim results to a file using the callgrind
> plugin, then visualize that file with KCachegrind.
>
> see  http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/show.cgi

In which case, it would be useful if someone could use that to analyse
some common usage cases.

Cases which involve more than one process (e.g. d.*, or v.* when used
with a separate DBMS server) are harder to analyse.

If it turns out that the separate null file is a signficant
performance issue, we need to consider a migration plan for embedding
nulls (e.g. if 6.3 can write out rasters with embedded nulls, do we
need 6.2 to be able to read them?).