[GRASS-dev] running commands in background

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu May 25 16:46:55 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> OK. I see now that it DOES work. The '&' give me back the prompt.
>
> The thing that was confusing me is that pesky percent complete output that
> keeps getting sent to the screen. Any way to shut that off?

No. There probably should be, though.

It would be simple enough to add an environment variable to disable
percent output altogether. It would be better to standardise this so
that it would disable all unnecessary output; the obvious approach
would be to have it disable G_message() as well, and migrate modules
to use G_message() instead of [f]printf().