[GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sat May 27 23:12:36 EDT 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006 12:38:28 +0200
Stefan Paulick <stefan.paulick at urbeli.com> wrote:

> Am Samstag, den 27.05.2006, 00:19 -0600 schrieb Trevor Wiens:
>
> > Personally I am in position to contribute if we choose C++ as a
> > development

Correction. I sent a second e-mail, but I suppose it was missed. Sorry.
It should have read.

I am in NO position to contribute if we choose C++.

> I do doubt that using C++ would increase the number of contributors.
> It is very difficult to write C++ in a transparent way, which is
> essential for debugging and further development by others.
>
> I did some clean-up work in shattered industrial projects using C++.
> Most of them had to be rewritten(!) in plain ISO-C. So I would recommend
> it only for new projects written top-down and close to a qualified spec.

I agree with you on this point. C++ although powerful, reduces the
number of potential contributors and does not integrate nicely with the
majority of GRASS which is C. If we were to choose a compiled language
for the GUI development, I would choose C over C++.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)