[GRASS-dev] GUI toolkits

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Sat May 27 23:51:10 EDT 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006 09:24:35 +0200
Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Mybe I'm missing a point here, but why not just help improving th already
> excellent qgis+grass?
> We're using it a lot in production, and apart from a few bugs and missing
> tools, we believe this is the best solution available, especially for the
> general GISser.
> pc

As you may recall this question was asked some time ago and the general
feeling was that a separate GRASS GUI was desirable. The main reasons
stated for that as I recall were:

1. QGIS and GRASS have different goals and target different audiences.
Thus abandoning a GRASS specific GUI reduces the ability of GRASS
developers to guide and develop the tools they want and need.

2. GRASS is primarily written in C so if we want to use a compiled
language, C would be the natural choice.

3. C++ would reduce the number of contributors. Establishing a nice
interpreted environment could increase the ease of development for
future modules.

Personally, I use QGIS as viewer of shapefiles or PostGIS files, but not
for anything else; I prefer GRASS.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)