[GRASS-dev] [bug #5252] (grass) Multicore hardware and grass

Yann Chemin ychemin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 22:07:22 EST 2006

Hi list,
Jason and I have been doing some limited tests,
it looks like some functions r.* get to be twice faster on a dual-core
than on a P4.
I guess Jason still has the numbers, could you please share them? I am
out of office right now...

However, it seems that it is not the same for all functions/modules...
cheers,
Yann

On 02/11/06, Request Tracker <grass-bugs at intevation.de> wrote:
> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5252
>
> Subject: Multicore hardware and grass
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/x86_64
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
>
> This time next year dual quad - core desktop systems should be readily available.  What level of effort would it take for GRASS to be able to split the  processing load between the multiple cores?
>
> Doug Newcomb ( obviously not a C programmer :-))

Some Google Working rules:
*  Developers can switch teams and/or projects any time they want, no
questions asked; just say the word and the movers will show up the
next day to put you in your new office with your new team.
* There aren't very many meetings. I'd say an average developer
attends perhaps 3 meetings a week.
* Google has a philosophy of not ever telling developers what to work
on, and they take it pretty seriously.
* Google tends not to pre-announce. They really do understand that you
can't rush good cooking, you can't rush babies out, and you can't rush
software development.