[GRASS-dev] [bug #5252] (grass) Multicore hardware and grass

Māris Nartišs maris.gis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 05:51:03 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm not an expert in this area, but as troll
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll), I want to add my 0.02.

Glynn is right - GRASS is not monolite app, that could be tweaked to work in
paralell/threads. But individual modules could benefit from paralel
processing.

And here we come to political decision - how to paralelise it? It's realy
important, because GRASS should use one paralelisation mehanism (we don't
need one module that works with threads, second - Beowulfs and third works in
SSI systems) and there are more than one option. Do we need GRASS to run on
clusters? With modifications (like MPI for Beowulf) or by simply launching
mupltiple processes (openMosx and other SSI). Or using threads (POSIX or GNU
or ?) on slingle machine will be enough?

IMHO result of such discussion should be a note to GRASS programmers manual
like: "When You develop new module to work in paralel, You should use FOO to
make it work on/like BAR".

Maris.

PS. Some time a go there where efforts to make GRASS run on Beowulf clusters.
Is this subproject dead?