[GRASS-dev] Windows-style Pathnames

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 14:52:08 EST 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Glynn Clements wrote:

> For the above case, there should probably be a
> G_is_directory_separator() function which determines whether or not
> its argument is a directory separator on the host platform.

OK, I'm looking at this now. So on Windows that function would return true
for both '\\' and '/' being passed to it, and on Unix only for '/'?

> There also needs to be a macro (e.g. DIRSEP) which expands to the
> preferred separator. While Windows accepts both / and \ in a lot of
> situations, there are some (notably command lines) where only \ works.

Yes. Although when constructing a command line, often part of the path is
already constructed for you (e.g. the output of G_gisbase() ). So I think
perhaps a function that took a string as an argument and made sure all the
directory separators in it were the preferred ones for that host, might be
useful. I'll look at doing that.