[GRASS-dev] Re: g.proj and datum information (and gis.m)

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 14:41:14 EST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Michael Barton wrote:

>> From: Paul Kelly <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk>
>> Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 02:03:18 +0100 (BST)
>>
>> I haven't used gis.m, but why can the output window not accept user input?
>> I think it would be cool if GRASS could work a bit like AutoCAD and Matlab
>> which, while mostly GUI-oriented, still have a command line available. IIRC
>> the way Radim integrated GRASS with QGIS on Windows with the GRASS shell
>> inside QGIS worked something like this?
>
> You simply can't have an  interactive xterm from inside a TclTk GUI. The
> info gets returned to stderr, which TclTk treats as an error, or to stdout,
> which TclTk treats (correctly) as information output from the command. There
> is no way to communicate back from a simply text output window because it is
> not an interactive xterm.

I wasn't talking specifically about interactivity, just being able to run
a command by manually typing it in. And I've just seen that you CAN do
this! In the gis.m output window, you can type in any GRASS command you
want and click run and you see any output in the Window above. That's
exactly what I was looking for - I think it's really cool that GRASS has
this. :)

Paul