[GRASS-dev] BASH question about quitting GIS Manager

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 23:24:07 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> Repeatedly there have been requests to make it possible to quit GRASS
> when quitting the GIS Manager (and to automatically quit the GIS
> Manager when quitting GRASS).
..
> -Write into the GRASS exit routine a check for the GRASS_GUI_RUN
> environmental variable
> -If it is set to TRUE, kill WISH.
>
> What do you think?

`killall wish`, but that would take out any other tcltk programs the
user is running. (incl other mapsets sessions..)

maybe better

GRASS_GUI_RUN=$$   (you need to get the PID of gis.m from the parent,
not sure how to do that)

then `kill $GRASS_GUI_RUN`

FWIW I like to start grass in text mode, start gis.m from the command
line, quit gis.m but stay in my grass session. So quiting gis.m
shouldn't force a quit of the entire grass session in all cases..

also be careful to shut down the command line cleanly so .tmp/ gets
cleaned, etc.

Hamish

ps - isn't the "&" in gis.m& redundant now?