[GRASS-dev] Re: [DebianGIS] build-indep for grass and other issues.

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 03:15:01 EST 2006

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> > I understand the 'build-indep' problem to be that with debian's 11
> > or so architectures, it is very wasteful to have 11 copies of GRASS
> > help pages in 11 packages on the package mirrors, so Debian prefers
> > to move that into a grass-doc package and only keep 1 copy of that
> > for all platforms, with 11 smaller binary packages.  ?
> >

> Yep.

..
> > would /usr/lib/grass/share/ be any better? For GRASS it has been
> > nice to keep all files installed in 1 dir instead of scattered
> > throughout system. This way we can keep multiple versions on the
> > same machine without mixing problems. (But debian policy doesn't
> > like that..)
> >
> > can there be no "etc/" dirs put anywhere?
> >

> The point is that etc/ currently has a mix of arch-dep and arch-indep
> things all mixed together. At least sanitizing this thing could be
> nice.

how about one of these:

 $GISBASE/share/$MODULE_NAME/binary.app

 $GISBASE/support/$MODULE_NAME/binary.app

 $GISBASE/bin/support/$MODULE_NAME/binary.app

 $GISBASE/etc/support/$MODULE_NAME/binary.app

 $GISBASE/etc/bin/$MODULE_NAME/binary.app

?

e.g. r.watershed's ram, seg; i.ask, i.find, echo, lock, ...
i.oif/, r.in.wms/ are interesting as they contain platform independent
bash scripts.

Hamish