[GRASS-dev] [bug #5300] (grass) ./configure misses missing libxmu headers

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Nov 18 12:27:27 EST 2006

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5300
>
> Subject: ./configure misses missing libxmu headers
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 6.2.0
>
> ./configure script somehow missed that I do not have libxmu header files. On
> Debian system those headers are provided with libxmu-dev package.
>
> libxmu is used by nviz.

The configure script still treats X11 as an atomic package. This could
cause problems on platforms which have started using modular X11
packages.

I don't know whether newer versions of autoconf include tests for
individual X11 components, but autoconf 2.13 doesn't, and I wouldn't
want to force an upgrade over this issue alone.

It should be safe to check for X11 libraries and headers like any
other, provided that the relevant compiler/linker switches are used.
For header checks, $X_CFLAGS needs to be added, while library checks
need to use:

	$X_LIBS $X_PRE_LIBS -lX11 $X_EXTRA_LIBS

See the checks for Motif, OpenGL and Tk for examples.

BTW, it's actually Togl which uses Xmu (XmuLookupStandardColormap).