[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4905] (grass) gis.m: d.text.freetype does not allow spaces in text

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:36:59 EDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 06:12:15PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> > > Yes. And I'm thinking about merging d.font and d.font.freetype, if
> > > feasible.
> >
> > I'd like to propose merging freetype and stroke fonts, so that
> > R_font() is used for both, with the type being detected automatically.
> > This would allow the use of FreeType fonts in all modules.
>
> By which, I didn't mean "go ahead and do it without discussing it with
> anyone, including the person who has done 95% of the recent work on
> the display architecture and will probably be doing a similar
> proportion of future work in that area".
>
> Patch reverted. Again.
>
> The right place to have done this would be lib/driver/Font.c.
>
> lib/raster is supposed to be the bare minimum needed to dispatch R_*
> calls to either the local or remote driver. All of the actual
> functionality is supposed to go into either lib/driver or the
> individual drivers (lib/pngdriver or display/drivers/XDRIVER).
>
> I'm currently testing the corresponding changes to lib/driver.

Glynn, I see.  Lessons learned.  I didn't mean to bother you with this.
Maybe, I forgot you have a better insight in the overall architecture of
the raster library.  I've reverted the changes that I made recently.

One thing that I want to suggest is to replace freetypecap with
something better.  Keeping the font alias functionality is important for
portable scripting because each system has different directory structure
for TrueType fonts.  But because of this, freetypecap is also different
from system to system, which is annoying.  One option could be
to auto-generate freetypecap.

While looking into lib/raster, I found something strange.
select_font(), *_font_freetype(), *_charset(), and
*_font_freetype_release() return 1 on success while the others return 0.
Is this intended?

Huidae