[GRASS-dev] Re: [bug #4905] (grass) gis.m: d.text.freetype does not allow spaces in text

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 21:05:19 EDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 01:03:05AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Huidae Cho wrote:
>
> > Do we really need the charset field in freetypecap?
>
> It's not essential.
>
> AIUI, the original purpose was so that you could just use font=<alias>
> to specify both a font and an encoding. But then, freetypecap
> originally contained a lot of other fields, e.g. size and colour, so
> the font= option really specified a complete "style".

Right, that's why I removed all those settings.  As I know, charset does
not need to be changed during one session or even in one's system as
long as they do not change their encodings such as LC_CTYPE.  Why would
one want to use character sets other than their terminal's encoding
(LC_CTYPE)?  That being said, maybe, we can drop charset= option and,
instead, use the GRASS_FT_ENCODING environment variable.

Huidae