[GRASS-dev] Freetype on Mac

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Sep 3 01:49:08 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> I just tried William Kyngesbury¹s new 6.3 binaries.
>
>  d.text.freetype works OK on my PB G4 Mac now.
>
> But I see that the discussed changes to d.text have not yet been
> implemented.

Note that there is now a d.text.new command which, AFAICT, provides
the same functionality as d.text.freetype in terms of options and
formatting codes, but works with both FreeType and stroke fonts.

d.text itself remains unchanged.

Apart from the addition of d.text.new, the main externally-visible
change is that d.font can be used to set either a stroke or FreeType
font. Either type of font can be specified either by name (via font=)
or via a full path (via path=), and the encoding can be set by the
charset= option.

AFAICT, d.font.freetype and d.text.freetype are essentially redundant.