[GRASS-dev] Vector file naming

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Sep 7 07:12:18 EDT 2006

GRASS 6.3.cvs (hamilton2):/usr/src/grass6 > r.to.vect in=elizabeth.los
out=elizabeth.los feature=area
Illegal vector map name <elizabeth.los>. Character <.> not allowed.
ERROR: Map name is not SQL compliant.

How do file names conflict with SQL92?  I thought SQL92 only applied to
file contents.  Is this also being used as a workaround for DBF
limitations?  What I'm getting at is: Why is '.' not allowed?  Doing a
quick archive search failed to illuminate any light bulbs in the
immediate vicinity.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                      KB8UYR
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785