[GRASS-dev] Vector file naming

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Thu Sep 7 11:55:51 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 16:48 +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Brad Douglas wrote on 09/07/2006 04:46 PM:
> > Who says the *file name* has to be the same as the table name?  No SQL
> > spec governs that...it's up to the DBMS.  GRASS just doesn't give me
> > that option, currently.
> >

> I think it does: v.db.connect...

Vect_legal_filename() says no. :(

I understand that I could move entirely to a spacial database, but then
I'm exclusively working with table names because that's where the
geometry is stored.  There is no geometry in a DBF, which allows us the
ability to relax out file naming standards a bit by being able to
reference the table and calling something else (the geometry file) the
intended name.

To illustrate:

 mv hamilton2/PERMANENT/vector/elizabeth_los/
hamilton2/PERMANENT/vector/elizabeth.los
mv hamilton2/PERMANENT/dbf/elizabeth_los.dbf
hamilton2/PERMANENT/dbf/elizabeth.los.dbf

[brad@] > grass63
GRASS 6.3.cvs (hamilton2): > v.info elizabeth.los
 | Layer:    elizabeth.los                  Organization:
|
 | Mapset:   PERMANENT                      Source Date: Thu Sep  7
03:00:55  |
 | Location: hamilton2                      Name of creator: brad

... [file behaves normally].

Either way, it isn't that big of a deal. :-)

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                      KB8UYR
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785