[GRASS-dev] [bug #5111] (grass) Unable to rename map if similar exists in PERMANENT

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Sep 7 23:48:28 EDT 2006

Request Tracker wrote:

> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5111

> Subject: Unable to rename map if similar exists in PERMANENT
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/x86
> grass obtained from: Trento Italy site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: grass-6.2.cvs_src_snapshot_2006_08_31
>
> I'm unable to rename raster map if map with same name exists in other
> mapset. Any manipulations with maps should happen in local mapset IF not
> specified othervise.

Having a warning for a "shadow" is a good idea; an error isn't.

> PS. It would be nice to add some hint to manual how to rename maps with
> comma in name i.e. "Lake_25,5".

You can't; at least not with g.rename. You will have to manually
rename the corresponding files/directories with "mv".

G_legal_filename() should be changed to prohibit commas in map names.
Probably some other characters (e.g. '@') as well.

Currently, it allows any byte between 33 and 126 inclusive except for
slash, double-quote and single-quote.

Some of those will conflict with GRASS syntax (e.g. comma, at,
equals), while others aren't legal in Windows filenames (e.g.
backslash, query, asterisk).